Thursday, August 23, 2012

Adding to the wood pile

Slowly the wood pile is growing.  I know it is a little late in the year to be cutting green wood for the coming winter but promptly cutting and splitting it will maximize the drying process.  Much of this pictured is well dried.  I have burned half-dried wood before and believe me it is not worth it.  You still put the same effort into it and you are constantly tending the fire to keep the wood burning, you don't get as much heat from it and you creosote your chimney.  Just in case this wood does not reach the proper dryness I have quite a few standing dead trees that I will cut a little later and we may also buy a cord or two of seasoned wood.
Once upon a time I was cutting wood in the fall for the following winter, that's a nice way to do it.  For several years we did not burn much wood instead we used alternate heat sources but slowly depleted our wood pile and didn't bother to replenish it.  More on our $2500 folly in another post but suffice it to say we are back to burning wood now and I am just getting into the wood cutting groove.  My goal is to have two winter's wood cut and split come next winter.  Well, that's the stuff dreams are made of.



Some wood is just too much to split.  This piece, and there are others, is just to knotty, or should I say too naughty, to split.  I might be able to cram it into the stove but why bother, it will burn nicely in the outdoor fire pit.  Another month and it will be time to have a few outdoor fires with hotdogs and toasted marshmallows.


Some land just west of and below the orchard and garden area is the prime woodlot this year.  I hope to clear about a quarter acre.  Doing so will allow more late afternoon sun to reach the garden and once we have the stumps dozed out and the the land smoothed we can plant it to a small pasture.

This picture shows a portion of the pasture-to-be before cutting.  Once I have the triangular piece cut over I will post another picture.





No comments:

Post a Comment